Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Balancing Act and Why I Fail at it.

 A wonderful balancing act.
    Howdy everyone. Edwin here and I want to talk about something I try for in every game I play. Without this key element, games suck. They are really bad no matter what game you are playing.  I am talking about balance. People often don't want to play a game more than once if there isn't some semblance of balance. Great games have been ruined by lack of balance. Players have to have a balance too or often people will not want to play them. Remember that balance is subjective. Today, I will talk about how I try to achieve balance and how I have utterly failed at it when it comes to trying to balance things out. For the record, I am trying to achieve a balanced list with a Necron List. I settled on a few flyers (no more than 3) and armor 13 wall. 

Where I failed: I tried to balance things for all player types and not try to balance for groups of players. My list may not have been tough for a tournament, but it was a tough as nails list for any beer and pretzels style player.
Binding the hands.
     So in my first attempt to try and balance the army list I have been using, I have tried to bind what really makes the army nasty. All the combos  that really pack a serious punch with the list are out. That means to try and avoid Stormlord with Eternity Cryptek, Spyders with Particle Casters and tons of Scarabs, or anything where allies can be abused. I ended up using one powerful combo.  I ended up using death marks in night scythe with a harbinger of despair. After picking this unit, I decided I needed to have a few restrictions to use it. Max the unit size was a good start so the combo at least costs a good amount and no more than one Despair Cryptek. Other than that one unit, the rest of the army consists of solid choices, but nothing on the cheese levels that the codex can really do. Gotta try to keep out the gimmicks because while strong combinations are really powerful, nothing sucks more than losing because instantly pulls a trick out of their . I used to like such tricks and after I saw how bad they were for people, I steadily grew to dislike them. It soon began to cheapen wins and make ties infuriating for other players.

Where I failed: It wasn't the powerful combo units that were cheese, it was how people were playing them.  The other units I fielded were usually play more in a dickish manner than compared to my Combo unit.

Playing the Odds
      I wanted to build an army that played roughly the same no matter what happened. I wanted the odds to be in my favor for surviving against most weapons in the game. If your weapons worked against one half of the army, they wouldn't be very effective against the rest of the army. Flyers are hard to hit, but once hit go down easy. The Ark vehicles were there to be easy to hit, but hard to take down. Everything infantry was protected by their mechanized counter parts.  This leads to an army that was statistically accurate a lot of the time. Things generally worked out how they should. The army generally tried to balance itself inside a vacuum. Everything seemed to work with itself.

Where I failed: The concept worked a little too well. Most things needed six's to hit the flyers and six's to damage the Ark vehicles. Throw in cover saves and other factors and you could have an entire turn of shooting that does nothing which often makes people angry.
What to do?
       With the homage to Harry Houdini complete, I want to discuss the conclusion. Having realized that the list has tons of problems, I have decided to do something out of the box for me. I am trying to tweak the original list for play against people who only want to fight a tough as nails list. I am also going to build a list that is both themed and ready for play against most people who don't want to play against a really tough list.It will be at the end of the article. The list is softer, easier to play against and hopefully won't be that bad. It is a Footdar list without some of the things that make them awesome. Hopefully, with these two drastically different lists, I will be able to play a wide range of opponents in a fun and friendly manner.

Why I failed: I really hope I haven't cause I really want to be a better person to play against.


1500 points

HQ

Farseer-doom, guide, fortune, warding/witness/spirit stones, singing spear

Troops

10 dire avengers-exarch with blade storm, defend, dire sword shurikan pistol

10 dire avengers-exarch with blade storm, defend, dire sword shurikan pistol

10 dire avengers-exarch with blade storm, defend, dire sword shurikan pistol

10 dire avengers-exarch with blade storm, defend, dire sword shurikan pistol

Fast attack

2 vypers- double shurikan cannons

2 vypers- double shurikan cannons

2 vypers- double shurikan cannons

Heavy support

Wraithlord-Wraithblade, bright lance

Wraithlord-Wraithblade, bright lance

18 comments:

  1. ...2 Wraithlords?! And 4 units of pure blade storm? What happened to balance? LOL! Combined with a Doom and Guide casting Farseer, there isn't any! LOL!

    This is a killer force, no doubt about it. I guess you could say this is "balanced" by not opting to taking Star Cannons instead of Shurikan cannons and bright lances...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took assault stuff like defender and dire swords and plan to act as an assaulting force. The wraithlords are going to be fun conversions and the farseer is going to be an interesting one when you see him.

      Delete
  2. The only anti-tank you have are the 2 wraithlords...might want to drop a few shuriken cannons and add in a few more brightlances...

    also resisting the urge to call it a SPAM list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of want to be light on AT. That aspect isn't the tank hunting one so why would my aspect dire avenger force wield many AT weapons.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps you should try more than one aspect...or at least more than one flavor of Exarch in that one aspect.

      Delete
  3. Remember guys: hee playes handicapped lists because he doesn't like the easy wins.

    http://lesserofallevils.blogspot.com/2012/12/concept-in-gaming-handicap.htm

    O.O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the spelling errors. Just pretend you are on BoLS. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shits not given. Also, thanks for saying that was mean. Y'all do care.

      Delete
    2. Don't you buy into it. It's a trap! Lul you into a false sence of security and BOOM! They go for the kill. Cheef is the worst. :p

      Delete
    3. Of course it is a trap, but what other chance do I have to hope that someone that I play Warhammer with won't be a douche canoe all the time.

      Delete
    4. I thought you were the douche canoe?

      Delete
  5. Action: Attaches Bullshit Reading Googles ...
    Action: Don Advanced Biohazard suit ...
    Action: Initiate A-CC-CV-CS inoculation ...

    First you talk about balancing a Necron list and then successfully derail your own train of thought and shit out an Eldar list. Being on the train of How the fuck and then get kidnapped and held hostage on the Train of What the fuck is some wild ride. The whole Houdini act makes no sense. You are emphasizing you are escaping your necron list, but in actuality you drowned in the water tank and have manifested in the same form with the same intentions.

    Houdini entered the water tank to escape on his own and escaped. You are not escaping, you are staying in the water, suffocating, and capitalizing on the euphoria until your eventual demise as you say you failed.

    Your Necron list is balanced I suppose from a Pillsbury cookie dough perspective, but it has so much spam. Plus it is not something I or anyone would want to go up against regularly.

    What you did with your Necron force, you did the same with your Eldar force. You seem to only use very little or perhaps only try to use as little unit options as possible. The Necron list only had six different unit options from the codex and your Eldar list only has four unit options from the codex. I was hoping for improvement, but SON YOU DISAPPOINT.

    You mentioned two lists and which list is this? I am guessing this is the irony of your Houdini act in which your other list escaped the clutches of your mind. This might have been good for you as perhaps the actual list was evil and it would leave to possess another. Sadly this is not so as your Eldar list has followed suit, proving you are indeed evil. However, there is hope as I believe we can now determine what you suffer from below.

    Back in time when Masta Cheef fought the Tyranid wars he had trouble dealing with them. On average I would use lists which had about 9 different units and a few would be duplicated such as troop units. The lists were balanced between the abilities of the diversity between the units.

    Speaking for the local group we have I don't think anyone wants the choice up front of whether to offer a spam like dickish list or a spam full on nail board ass hammer rape list? We want to face a list with originality and something you thought through.

    Your list building is a projection of your ability to use a codex in full. I don't expect you to use all of a codex's options either because some things plain suck. (Pyrovores FTL!)

    I believe you suffer from Advanced Ctrl C / Ctrl V Combination Sickness or A-CC-CV-CS. I advise pen, paper, and thought along with disabling all similar words of copy and duplicate unless a squadron forms.

    Keep in mind. My humor is deranged and I gives a fuck half the time, but your concept of balance is unbelievable. Some of your recent humor on my blog has amused me quite well. I am trying to get you to learn and actually learn and not just assume you learn. Neither am I calling you a dick, but if you regularly offer a dick list and make new dick lists then you might as well write it on your forehead.

    When you say you hope someone won't be a douche canoe, who do you play against? If you play a douche then douche on them, but not against the order of the undouche which Masta Cheef and his followers stand for. For fucks sake when you play someone for the first time, don't douche out the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TL;DR...lol.

      That's kindova incoherent rant you got going there, you've learned well young padawan.

      Delete
  6. Alright Cheef, this is your neighborhood so it's your call

    After talking Hive Angel off the ledge is it going to be:

    A) Hive Angel's intervention and then Edwin's ?

    OR

    B) Edwin's intervention and Hive Angel's check in to a two week stay at the psych ward?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You kids are funny. The Bottom line is that the Necron Book is the most broken, overpowered army out there. Is it easy to exploit, yes.
    Is it unbeatable? No.

    But preaching about balance, then writing a bad spammy list with a completely different army makes no sense what so ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with Hive Angel and colddawn on this. Madival your Necron list have never been fun to play against, ever. And as the person who usually plays you please take that for what it is worth. When you talked to me the other day about making a "fluffy" (hate that term) or balanced Eldar list and told me about the Dire Avenger list above what did I tell you? I explained the concept of how Eldar armies work according to the back ground and that you could improve the list to make it less of a spam army by adding some other aspects and maybe some Guardians (since they are the backbone of a craft worlds military). You are not a douchebag player but for the love of crap you make douchey armies. Lord knows I am not the best player out there, but I have been known to enjoy playing the game and win on occasion.I know you get your jollies from making lists like this and playing games this way and that is fine. You just have to actually realize that not everyone enjoys playing the lists you make in a casual setting.

    ReplyDelete