Thursday, May 24, 2012

Schadenfreude and the orkish horde

Caution:This post sounds mean, but is not intended as such. It is a simple observation.
   This is a post I have been dreading for a long time. This post is about the mean side in me. It only is getting talked about now because I came to a realization yesterday about my orks. My orks are over a hundred strong. When I dont have my bikers, I field two boom guns wagons, 10 lootas, and a small squad of storm boys as well as 4x20 man boy squads. Playing orks  is fun, but it often gives me a sense of Schadenfreude. The term is a German word that means pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.
The concept in picture form
   Here is how I came to the realization of blob orks are schadenfreude.  I played against a person who over thought everything yesterday. He was no fun to play against in any form or fashion. He seemed to rob the fun from the game by trying to over analyze everything when things were simple as well as try to sound as if events were more important then they were. You know the kind. He had to "Calculate" Points. He combat squaded all his marines in annihilation game. He got mad when his little brother bunched his guys together because he "had them in specific order". That says enough. After seeing me lay out my orkish horde, he wanted to play. I didn't want to, but I did. In the ensuing game, I saw his skill as a player.Also,  I saw every single deficiency he had as a player. The randomness of the orks saw an overwhelming onslaught where none really existed before. Combats with 40-60 attacks in it would see between 24-5 wounds before power klaw attacks. You couldn't predict it so you all you could do was play to the best of your abilities. Unless you tailor, horde orks are a force to be reckoned with. If you are a skilled player with them and know how to play them, then the only counter is the skill of your opponent and the game will show the lack there of if applicable. Good opponents can usually handle horde ork most of the time unless their army is polar opposite (deathwing).

Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!
  To simplify the idea, Orks work when your opponent doesn't. Shooty marines get assaulted and assault marines get shot.  Orks work in a different style considering what your opponent uses. Your opponents lament is your joy. The numbers orks use to do anything means that they have such large numbers that you can't predict them. how do you predict the result of 50-100 attacks? Horde orks are strange this way. Its truly Schadenfreude.

 I leave you all with this. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment