Friday, March 23, 2012

Glue for the Glue God! Paper for the Paper Throne!

My posts will be a bit different from the posts you'll typically see on this blog. I tend to enjoy modeling Warhammer figures and vehicles even more than playing or painting, and I do enjoy both quite a bit.

This post I shall dedicate to papercraft.
     What's papercraft?
Who are you?
     I'm the disembodied voice that's gonna ask the questions around here.
O-kay... Well for those who don't know, it means to build 3D objects using heavyweight paper.

Like so...

     Well that's easy enough to understand, but how does this relate to Warhammer 40K?
I was getting there before you so rudely interrupted.With a little alteration, many of the Warhammer papercraft templates can be used to scratch build plastic models.
    You mean...
Yes, an industrious, and most likely poor, enthusiast could build models on the cheap and give them some extra character. Plasticard (polystyrene) is readily available at most craft stores and thin (.5 - 1.0mm) sheets are easy enough to manipulate. Now, even .5mm is much thicker than paper, so some conversion is needed. Also, papercraft templates have glue tabs which aren't necessary with plastic. Most can be cut off and plastic welding glue used to secure the joints.

An example of what you can do with papercraft.

It wasn't that long ago that GW encouraged scratch builders, as detailed in this post. It's that post that started me scratch building and links to the template for the Baneblade  pictured above. It also drew me to the Yahoo group BWC Archive which still adds templates on a regular, if long, basis. There I found templates for the Drop Pod that I am currently working on. So far I've used three sheets of Plasticard and have one more waiting to be used. I also used a small bit of Balsa wood, but most of it is still leftover.

4 sheets of Plasticard   $7.64
1 sheet of Balsa wood   $3.82
Xacto blades   $1.79
Super Glue   $4.21

Knowing you built that model
everyone thinks came from GW?    Priceless...

Here's a WIP video that shows my Drop Pod is already standing and the main struts are done. Once I prime it, few people will be able to spot that it's scratch built.

 

If there's interest on the blog, I'll make a follow up post with the template, my work flow and the problems I ran into with the template. Are you still there Mr. Voice?
    Yeah...
Say goodbye to the nice readers Mr. Voice.
    Later guys!

Good enough. Hope I sparked some interest in scratch building.

Keep your ammo dry.

8 comments:

  1. ...sigh...

    Once again Chad, you kinda leave me slack jawed with your construction techniques.

    When you going to awe teh interwebz with your GS sculpting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't take credit for figuring out the Drop Pod all on me onesies. I had a REALLY well done template to go by. Wish I had a name to give credit to.

    The GS will come later, don't wanna post everything I have day one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a precut MDF board drop pod that didn't look that good, just cause you have a pattern doesn't meant that there's no skill involved!

      Delete
  3. How long has of taken you to finish it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assume you mean the Pod.

    And it's not finished yet, but I've put two and a half days into it... Maybe two more to finish it. Depending on how much detail I wanna add, it may take more. In the end, I'm gonna give it the Death Company treatment.

    Dreads fall, everyone dies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Pikatar in honor of my first post.

    ReplyDelete